Calcium is an essential nutrient that helps children develop strong bones and teeth. Getting enough calcium in their diet is crucial during their growing years. While milk is a great source of calcium, it's not the only option for kids who are lactose intolerant, vegan, or simply not fond of dairy products. Here are some calcium-rich foods that kids can enjoy.
1. Yogurt: Yogurt is a great source of calcium and also contains probiotics, which promote good gut health. Choose plain or low-sugar varieties to avoid added sugars.
2. Cheese: Cheese is another dairy product that is rich in calcium. Offer small portions of cheese as a snack or add it to sandwiches and wraps.
3. Leafy greens: Dark, leafy greens such as spinach, kale, and collard greens are packed with calcium. You can add them to smoothies, soups, or sauté them with a little bit of garlic and olive oil.
4. Tofu: Tofu is a plant-based protein that is also high in calcium. It can be used in stir-fries, salads, or blended into smoothies.
5. Fortified foods: Many foods are fortified with calcium, including plant-based milks, orange juice, and breakfast cereals. Look for labels that say "fortified with calcium" to ensure that your child is getting enough of this essential nutrient.
6. Sardines and canned salmon: Sardines and canned salmon is an excellent source of calcium thanks to their edible bones, which build and maintain strong bones. You can grill, bake, or broil sardines and salmon and serve it with a side of vegetables for a healthy meal.
It's important to note that calcium is best absorbed with the help of vitamin D, so make sure your child is getting enough of this vitamin as well. Sunlight, fatty fish, and fortified foods are all good sources of vitamin D.
Incorporating calcium-rich foods into your child's diet can be easy and fun. Involve them in meal planning and cooking, and encourage them to try new foods. Here are some ideas for incorporating calcium-rich foods into meals and snacks:
- Make a yogurt parfait with plain yogurt, fresh fruit, and a sprinkle of granola.
- Add cheese to whole-grain crackers or apple slices.
- Make a smoothie with spinach, banana, and almond milk (fortified with calcium).
- Use tofu in a stir-fry with vegetables and brown rice.
- Serve a side of sautéed kale or collard greens with dinner.
- Make salmon patties with canned salmon, breadcrumbs, and an egg, and serve with a side of roasted sweet potatoes.
Despite our best efforts, it can be difficult to monitor and meet our children's daily nutrient needs. Calcium supplements provide a simple solution for parents who want to ensure their children are receiving enough calcium. Vitatree Kids Super Milky Calcium, infused with Calcium and Vitamin D3 along with boasting a delicious milky flavour, makes it easy to support your child's healthy bone, teeth, and muscle development by ensuring they receive the essential nutrients they need.
In conclusion, calcium is a crucial nutrient for children's bone and teeth development. Milk is an excellent source of calcium, but there are also many other options for kids who can't or won't consume dairy. Yogurt, cheese, leafy greens, tofu, fortified foods, and salmon are all good sources of calcium that can be incorporated into meals and snacks. Adding Vitatree Kids Super Milky Calcium plus Vitamin D3 as an extra support for your kids diet too!
Click here to learn more about product: Vitatree Kids Super Milky Calcium plus Vitamin D3