Breathing exercises can help increase your lungs capacity, making it easier to keep your lungs healthy and get your body the oxygen it needs.
Here are some simple breathing exercises that you can do right at home!
It is commonly referred to as "belly breathing" because it engages the diaphragm, which is supposed to perform most of the breathing work. Exercises like this one support lung health by strengthening the diaphragm. Feeling rested is the best time to use belly breathing.According to the COPD Foundation, here are the steps to practice belly breathing.
- Sit back or lie down and relax your shoulders.
- Place one hand on your belly and one on your chest.
- Inhale through your nose for two seconds, feeling the air move into your abdomen and feeling your stomach move out. The stomach should move more than the chest.
- Press your abdomen while exhaling for two seconds with pursed lips.
- Then repeat.
Breathing with pursed lips reduces the amount of work you have to do when breathing, allowing you to keep your airways open longer. By doing so, you improve oxygen and carbon dioxide exchange in the lungs.
Beginners often find this breathing exercise easier than diaphragmatic breathing, and you can perform it at home by yourself. You can practice it at any time.
According to Healthline, you can do these following steps:
- Sit comfortably with your neck and shoulders unclenched.
- Slowly breathe in through your nose for several counts while keeping your mouth closed. (Your nose warms and humidifies the air before it reaches the lungs — breathing in through your mouth does not do this.)
- Put your lips together as if you were going to blow out a candle before you exhale.
- Slowly exhale all the air in your lungs while keeping your lips pursed.
- Take more time to exhale than to inhale.
- Repeat several times
Tips to help your lungs healthyIn addition to breathing exercises, there are other ways to protect your lungs.
- Stop smoking, and avoid secondhand smoke.
- Maintain a healthy diet, and add foods rich in antioxidants.
- Get vaccinations like the flu vaccine and Covid vaccine, which can help prevent lung infections and protect lung health.
- Regularly exercise to promote lung function.
Taking supplements is also add-in support for your lungs' health. Vitatree Lung Detox is packed with traditional East Asian herbal ingredients and helps maintain healthy detoxification processes for our lungs. This is a good simple natural way to cleanse your lungs and keep your respiratory system healthy.